SHOPPING SUSTAINABLY


Since moving to Nottingham I've discovered lots of different ways to shop in a sustainable way and to avoid fast fashion. Being a fashion student I'm constantly learning about the impact the fashion industry has on the planet and how people like me can reduce their impact. I'm writing this blog post to give you hints and tips on how you can do the same and hopefully change your shopping habits.


CHARITY SHOPS

Charity shops are obviously a must have on this list but many of you may think of those as being them shops filled to the brim with old lady clothes and stinking like damp but in Nottingham it's a different story. I'm lucky enough to have a several White Rose charity stores up the road from me which are directed at  a young, trendy demographic. Nottingham has 6 White Rose shops now in Nottingham, 3 for womenswear, 2 menswear and 1 a mix between both plus children-wear.  Over the past year I've bagged myself some right bargains such as the ZARA trench coat I'm wearing in my photoshoot, lots of evening dresses, bags and printed tee shirts.  Definitely check out your local charity shops and see if there's some that are directed at a younger group of people.

Find more information about White Rose here: https://www.whiteroseshop.co.uk


DEPOP

Depop is an app that allows people to sell and swap unwanted clothes, shoes and accessories at lower prices.  This is a great way to purchase second hand clothes that are in great condition and are from your favourite brands. Both my River Island green handbag and Dr Martens shoes are bought from Depop, and I got them for a great price! My boots were practically brand new and I purchased them for £50 when their original price was £135! If you're wanting to clear out your wardrobe and get rid of some old clothing but don't want to end it's clothing life then Depop is definitely the place for you


KILO SALES

Kilo sales are something that I have only recently discovered since moving to Nottingham and I love them. Kilo sales are organised by third party organisations who collect hundreds of vintage and second hand clothing to sell by the kilo. Most kilo sales I've been to charge around £15 per kilo but this my change with different ones. Most kilo sales are full with big brands such as Adidas, Nike and Puma. The last time I visited one I bagged myself a vintage Levi's denim jacket which I've worn nearly everyday. If you're into vintage clothing this definitely a great way to get a new sustainable wardrobe, especially if you're looking for denim clothing.


CLOTHES SWAPS

This is something that I have recently wanted to be involved in. The idea behind them is that you clear out your wardrobe for any unwanted clothing and drop them off at the swap location before the date of the event. For a lot of the clothes swaps the clothes that you donated will then be styled and showcased for the swap event. For every piece of clothing you donate you will get a token which you can swap for other pieces of clothing at the clothes swap. This is a great way for getting rid of old unwanted clothing but also to get new clothes to replace them. You don't even need to go to a organised event to do this but could instead do it with friends and family. Overall it's a great way to avoid fast fashion and act sustainably.


I hope you enjoyed this blog post and try some of these shopping methods yourself. If there's any other sustainable shopping methods you do yourself that I could try please comment down below xx


2 comments

  1. Lately, I’ve been trying to buy clothes that I see myself keeping for 5 or more years...and I usually find that the ones I pass up are the cheap, trendy ones. Looks like you’ve found some really good once-loved options. Xo Nipa @fashionipa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post idea, so many great shopping ideas. Lovely outfit too!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete